Monday, March 19, 2007

Service call

So I'm sitting here waiting for a repair guy for the Blue Star range. It's only been seven weeks since the grill exploded...they sure aren't in any hurry here. Ahem.

I'm feeling a little cranky in part because of one of those frustrating facts of life. Any time a repair or service person gives you a window of time ("I'll be there between 3 and 5 pm"), they're going to arrive at the very, very, very end of it.

Unless, of course, you're not there on time and then the repair guy'll arrive at the very first second of the time window and be gone by the time you come panting up to the house three minutes late.

Since I wasn't late today, that means that I've just spent the afternoon sitting at home waiting for the Blue Star service guy, who's still not here. He's got twenty-four more minutes before the window expires. And then another 15 because I'm sometimes late, too (yeah, I know, Steve, I know. Pot, kettle, etc...I got it.). And then I'll be ticked off. And still grill-less.

UPDATE 5:57 PM

Well, he didn't show up at all. I left him a voice-mail back at 5 pm and hopefully he'll have a good reason for standing me up. Maybe he had a flat tire on a wilderness road and a mountain lion ate his cell phone before he could call me to say he's running late. Something reasonable like that.

So much for grilling something when J's cousins come by tomorrow. Oh well.

UPDATE 6:20 PM

The service guy finally called...he's feeling sick and couldn't make it. No mention of how his cell phone is feeling. I sympathize, but only up to a point. He coulda called. Guess we'll reschedule when he's better. Unless Signature Marketing, the Blue Star distributor we're working with, can come up with a service guy who'll actually, you know, show up and do the service.

UPDATE ONE WEEK LATER

The repair guy showed up when he promised and fixed the stove. Nice guy, too. More on this in the comments, if you're interested.
 

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 3/19/2007 9:03 PM, Blogger Steve Buccellato said...

I'm sorry, but this post is begging for a rude joke about "doing the service." Several come to mind, but I'm going to try and rise above all that.

Sux about the grill.

 
At 3/19/2007 10:07 PM, Blogger Sara Kocher said...

Yeah, the whole "service" thing is kind of rude, unfortunately. I almost wrote "service me" at one point, but this guy is probably not exactly the material of my fantasies (besides not being J, that is). Dunno, since I haven't seen him.

Anyway, I probably should have written "repair" instead. Hindsight's 20/20.

And yes, I know there's a plumber's butt joke lurking in that last sentence. I'm going to stop writing now.

 
At 3/20/2007 2:25 PM, Blogger mmclaurin said...

must....not....be....rude....

besides, Sara already short-circuited all the best jokes. Damn. I must be more expeditious in the future.

I have some great repairman/delivery stories to share. Getting sdelivery and repairs when you live in the sticks has the added bonus of no one knowing where you are, and being all too ready to give up trying.

 
At 3/26/2007 2:33 PM, Blogger Sara Kocher said...

The repair guy showed up when he promised and fixed the stove (see, I'm really working to avoid the jokes here...).

And it turns out that we know him. Aside from stove repair, that is. He used to take a class at the local YMCA with me and J, many years ago. We weren't close friends or anything, but we hung out with a bunch of the same people. So while he was fixing the grill, we caught up on who's had kids, gotten new jobs, etc., over the past decade or so.

Too funny. Hope I wasn't too snotty on the phone last week. Pretty sure I wasn't...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home