Thursday, June 21, 2007

Filler, aka update 'n' rant

So the graduations both went well. The Bunster's surprised me by being quite age-appropriate and kind of cool. They all wore tee-shirts, black pants/skirts/shorts, Hawaiian-style floral leis, and little "grass skirts" made of what looked like sturdy construction paper. A few songs were sung ("Each of us is a flower, growing in life's garden," in case you weren't aware), the director made a quick speech, and each child received a fake diploma tied with a ribbon. And then were were done and it was time for the bounce-house, the hot dogs, some snow cones, and a bit of cake. Not simultaneously, of course.

The Bunster's older brother G.'s graduation also went well. Although the senior class was pretty large, J. was able to spot G. from the bleachers and got some pretty good photos and video, considering the distance. They had a party afterward (which the Bunster and I also missed, alas), which was low key yet fun. So that was good.

On a completely unrelated note, I read Luann (I know, shoot me now. I also read For Better or For Worse, and Cathy, so clearly my comic strip taste is suspect to say the least.) and something really bothered me today. Which, to be honest, I should say about this strip everyday, but anyway....

Luann's brother Brad is talking about his complete ignorance in the kitchen and appears to believe that antipasti, minestrone, risotto, and "a nice chianti" are French food. Leaving aside the Silence of the Lambs reference (what, he's going to eat his girlfriend's liver?), how has he managed to get to age 20-something and not know this? Did his parents just keep taking the kids to Chuck E. Cheese even when they hit their late teens? Did they simply never take them to a restaurant at all? Who gets to early adulthood without at least one trip to an Italian restaurant? I grew up in the midwest and we all knew this stuff (admittedly I have foodie parents, but still!).

And now I'm off to Chuck E. Cheese with the Bunster for a 5 year old's birthday party. I know...setting a great example for his future. At least his favorite foods include goat cheese and sushi.
 

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 6/23/2007 5:57 AM, Blogger mmclaurin said...

Um, it's a cartoon, honey. Brad isn't...and for that matter, Luann isn't a drawn version of a reality show. I know, I know, hard to believe, but once you're on board with that, like me, you can start to come to terms with the fact that, dammit, Nancy and Sluggo are just never going to break that sexual tension. ;)

 
At 7/01/2007 10:16 PM, Blogger Sara Kocher said...

Writer? There's a writer on Luann? No! No! I know she's real. Real, I tell you!

Ahem.

You'd think by now I'd have a grip. After all, I know who's stronger, the Hulk or the Thing...whichever one the writer chooses this time to advance the plot. Or phone in the plot, depending on commitment and talent levels.

And yet, for some reason, I cannot seem to apply this cynicism to the comic strips of my pre-Marvel days. I want those little gag-a-day universes to hang together. I want logic with my humor. Oh, and I want humor, for that matter, which is sadly lacking in so many of them. Guess I need to go read some more Comics Curmudgeon to numb the pain.

p.s. Marcus, too funny...thanks! Now I'll never get that Nancy/Sluggo thing out of my head. Damn you. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home