Thursday, December 11, 2008

Facebookaholic

Hi, my name is Sara and I'm a Facebookaholic.

(everyone) "Hi, Sara!"

It started small. I only opened an account because my friend L.M. asked me to, as part of a "project" he was doing for business school. Of course, now I can see he's just a pusher, but I was so naive then. That was it, just one time, plus a quick hit to enter a little minimal profile info. No photo, even. I could have just walked away, but I didn't.

A little while later, a friend request came in from J.B, whom I'd known at Renaissance Faire. So of course I confirmed. I mean, who wouldn't?

And then it slowly snowballed. One friend after another. I kept confirming and confirming. Once, I even went through my husband's friend list, just looking for people I knew so I could add them.

I did manage to ignore the apps. That's good, right? That shows some will power. I didn't accept the title of nobility, you know. And I didn't take my move in Scrabulous. Okay, okay, I admit it...I did try to do Scrabulous, but I had some kind of weird computer glitch with Firefox and it wouldn't work. I'm trying to be honest, here, okay? Cut me a break.

Besides, there's a good side, too! I'm getting back in touch with old friends...people I haven't seen in 18 years, people I've missed and wondered about. And I'm seeing photos of myself and my friends from back in the day. Bringing back to memories. It's great stuff. Really, it is.

So now I have this karma request. And I'm rethinking the no-apps thing. How bad could it be? I can quit anytime. Or at least pull back a bit. I don't have to check the "Friends Of Ol' Marvel - Marvel Comics Alumni" discussion board twice a day. That's totally a choice. And I can stop.

Sure I can...you know, right after I just comment on that great photo S.B. just scanned and posted, that is...
 

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 12/11/2008 11:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i totally understand.
rita

 
At 12/12/2008 1:31 AM, Blogger Jeremy said...

Man... if I'd realized the terrible toll the addiction would take on you, I would NEVER have dragged you into this sordid business... :)

 
At 12/12/2008 8:14 AM, Blogger Steve Buccellato said...

One of us...one of us...

 
At 12/12/2008 7:20 PM, Blogger Marie Javins said...

I think I need rehab.

 
At 12/17/2008 1:52 PM, Blogger Micah said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 12/17/2008 2:55 PM, Blogger Sara Kocher said...

If this post leaves you wondering or asking why I haven't added you as a friend on Facebook yet, one of these reasons probably applies:

1. I haven't gotten around to it yet. -- Despite the humor, I do actually spend most of my time OFF Facebook! No, really!

2. I don't remember you, sorry. -- I'm limiting my "friending" to people I actually know or knew. So if you're a friend of one of my friends, I'll want to get to know you in real life before I add you on Facebook.

3. We had a massive falling out and I never want to hear from you ever again. Never ever!! -- This one is highly unlikely...I can think of exactly two ex-boyfriends I wouldn't want to "friend" on Facebook and neither of them is likely to read this blog or want to "friend" me either.

4. You're a creepy stalker. -- See reason #2, since I can't think of any past creepy stalkers by name. I probably don't have any, actually.

5. Some other reason I can't think of because it hasn't applied yet. -- But I'm sure there's probably some reason not to "friend" someone that isn't one of the other four, so I'm adding this fifth one just in case.

 
At 2/14/2009 3:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Though we had a massive falling out, I hope I'm not one of those 'ex-boyfriends'. I actually have nothing but very fond memories of our friendship.

 
At 2/14/2009 3:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops... I should have signed that above J.A.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home