Friday, November 10, 2006

Conspiracy theory

For a couple of weeks now, Bob McCormick, host of KNX's "Money 101" radio talk show, has been going on and on about conspiracy theories that gas prices were being artificially lowered by the oil companies in order to influence the election. He said that the claim was the companies were forgoing profits in hopes that they'd get more $$$ later with Republicans still in power. Although he didn't exactly endorse the idea, he left me with the strong impression that he agreed with this theory. But I kind of laughed and blew it off as more wishful thinking than reality.

And then I was pumping gas at Costco this morning and overheard someone at the next pump asking the attendant, "Do you know why gas prices are suddenly going up again." And the guy on the other side of my pump and I simultaneously replied "The election's over!" Apparently, I am a nutcase conspiracy theorist after all.

So I emptied my purse and found my three latest Costco gas receipts. On October 26, I paid $2.26 a gallon there. By the day before the election, November 6, it was down to $2.18 a gallon. And today? Only three days post-election, it was all the way back up to $2.28 per gallon. Hmmm....

Maybe there is something to this. Wish someone would do a real audit instead of just compiling anecdotal experiences. Also, is price manipulation in order to influence elections just good old fashioned capitalism? Or is it illegal? With major commodities like oil, I'm thinking that laissez-faire capitalism is not the right answer. So if this is legal, it shouldn't be. And if there really was an attempt to influence the election this way, I'd like to find out.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 11/10/2006 12:32 PM, Blogger Steve Buccellato said...

What a kook! ;)

Don't dig too deeply, Sara...you don't want to get the wromg people angry...

 
At 11/15/2006 1:29 PM, Blogger Don Hudson said...

That idea does not strike me as far fetched. OPEC uses oil production as a weapon, and I'm sure the americans are using it a tool as well.

 
At 11/15/2006 1:30 PM, Blogger Don Hudson said...

Did I just say "Tool"?

 
At 11/16/2006 11:40 AM, Blogger mmclaurin said...

I was saying this same thing when gas prices went down. I predicted to Jan that they'd go back after the election, whichever way it went. I keep having the Abraham Lincoln quote about "some of the people, all of the time" go through my head.

 
At 11/17/2006 10:27 PM, Blogger Steve Buccellato said...

Well, well! I guess Sara and her blog-fans are a bunch of PSYCHICS, eh???

 
At 11/17/2006 10:28 PM, Blogger Steve Buccellato said...

Sorry, I don't know where I'm going with that...

I guess that's what happens when you drink & blog...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home